Discount brokers help you save when selling a home by offering their services for a low flat fee — or as low as 1% listing commission. Considering the average listing commission in Texas is 2.71%, discount brokers can save you thousands of dollars when selling in Austin.
Home prices in Austin are up a bit from a year ago, but homes are taking longer to sell — a sign the market is cooling off. Using a discount broker when selling can help you recover some of the money you’ll lose as the market cools.
If you decide to go with a discount broker, do your homework first. Some discount brokers are better than others, and the cheapest options out there might cut costs in ways that put you at risk.
Fortunately, we did the research for you and found the best discount real estate brokers in Austin. Read on to see which companies we picked as the best major discount brokers, the top local brokerage, and the top choice for people who want to sell without a realtor in Austin.
Quick tips for choosing a discount real estate broker
- Choose what’s important to you. If saving money is the most important thing, choose a flat fee MLS service like Creekview Realty. But if you need more help and personalized service, choose a company like Clever Real Estate that partners with traditional agents.
- Figure out your actual savings. We’ve provided average savings for each company listed here, but find out how much you can save using your home’s price.
- Know the differences between local and national agents. National agents have the resources of a large company, so they may provide more services. But local agents are usually more plugged into the local market, giving them better insight into how to sell your home for the most money.
- Research brands and their service. Look into what types of homes their agents have sold before. Seek out online reviews to learn about a company’s reputation and look for common themes in their clients’ comments.
- Look for an agent who fits your home’s needs. If your home is easy to sell, you can focus on finding a broker with good reviews. But if you’re selling a home that’s less cookie-cutter and more like Pemberton Castle, find an agent who can show off your home’s unique features.
Best discount real estate brokers in Austin
|Best…||Brand||Avg. savings||Avg. rating|
|Overall||Clever Real Estate||$7,375||4.9/5 (1,995)|
|Local||Todd Hower Realty||$5,000||5.0/5 (58)|
|Limited-service||Creekview Realty||$11,400||4.8/5 (89)|
Best major discount brands in Austin
Clever Real EstateLEARN MORE
- Listing fee: 1%
- Avg savings: $7,375
- Avg rating: 4.9/5
Clever is a free, nationwide service that matches you with top agents from well-known brokerages like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX. You’ll get full service for a listing fee of $3,000 (or 1% if your home sells for more than $350,000).
Clever is our top pick because it’s a fast and free way to find a top-rated, full-service agent for less. Clever pre-negotiates discounts for you so you can save thousands.
Clever’s concierge service will match you with the right agent who fits your needs, not just the next agent on a list or someone from an out-of-town team. Best of all, there’s no catch: you’ll get the same service you would with any other traditional agent for only 1% commission.
Clever has a 4.9/5 on Trustpilot across 1,995 reviews. Customer reviews mention how fast and easy Clever’s agent-matching process is while praising the quality of the agents.
Clever offers low commission rates with top agents in all 50 states and Washington, DC.
- Listing fee: 1.5% (min. fees vary)
- Avg savings: $5,550
- Avg rating: 3.7/5
Redfin offers a 1.5% listing commission — or as low as 1% if you also buy a home using a Redfin agent.
While Redfin offers another way to save on commission, it’s our number two pick because it comes with some tradeoffs. For example, Redfin’s agents manage about three times as many clients as its competitors, meaning your agent might have less time for your questions and concerns.
Redfin has plenty of positive reviews, with a 3.7/5 rating across 301 reviews. In reviews, customers talk about Redfin’s knowledgeable and responsive agents.
Redfin is available in over 100 markets across the U.S.
Looking for more options? Check out the top 10 low-commission real estate brokerages in 2022.
Best local discount real estate broker in Austin
Todd Hower RealtyWEBSITE
- Listing fee: $6,995
- Avg savings: $5,000
- Avg rating: 5.0/5
Todd Hower is a real estate broker with over 15 years of experience in the Austin area. The $6,995 flat fee is for full-service seller representation including marketing, pricing, and negotiation.
Todd Hower Realty is a good deal if you’re selling a home worth $500,000 or more. At this price point, the flat fee of $6,995 is about 1.5% commission, still much cheaper than Texas’ average listing commission of 2.71%. If your home is worth less than $500,000, you’d be better off with a discount realtor that charges a low commission rate instead.
Todd Hower has an excellent 5 out of 5 rating across 47 reviews on Google. Past clients are quick to recommend him above other agents, describing him as calm, patient, and easy to communicate with.
Todd Hower Realty is available in Austin and the surrounding communities.
Want to work with a local agent, but hate to miss out on savings? Our friends at Clever Real Estate can get you both. They partner with top local agents in Texas from trusted brokerages like RE/MAX, Coldwell Banker, and Keller Williams. You’ll get local support from a traditional real estate agent for just 1%.
Best limited-service real estate broker in Austin
- Listing fee: $600
- Avg savings: $11,400
- Avg rating: 4.8/5
Creekview Realty is a local company offering limited real estate services for a flat fee. Its $600 basic package includes a six-month listing on the MLS. The premium package costs $1,400 and includes everything in the basic package plus full agent representation for all contracts, documents, and negotiations.
Creekview Realty provides some (but not all) of the services you’d get using a traditional agent. It’s a good choice for people who want to sell their home themselves but need a little bit of help. However, it’s more expensive than some national flat fee MLS services.
Do your research before going the for sale by owner (FSBO) route. Even with the premium package, selling FSBO is a lot of work. Plus, you’re likely to sell for less if you don’t have a listing agent, which may cancel out any money you save on commission.
Creekview Realty is available in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Central Texas, Corpus Christi, Dallas-Fort Worth, El Paso, Highland Lakes, Houston, Killeen-Fort Hood, Longview, McAllen, San Antonio, Tyler, and Waco.
Selling without a realtor is more complicated than it may sound. If you’re thinking about selling by owner in Austin, read these resources first:
How we chose
Real Estate Witch evaluated more than 50 national and local discount real estate brokers and found our top picks based on average savings, clarity of costs and terms, and how customers rated each company’s service.
To narrow down our lists, we first disqualified companies that:
- Did not have an active website
- Did not have any customer reviews on the most common review sites
- Did not clearly disclose their commission rates or terms
Then, we ranked companies based on the following factors:
- Average savings. We established savings based on what consumers would pay across four typical home values — $100,000, $250,000, $500,000, and $750,000 — and compared those rates to a standard 3% listing agent commission.
- Customer reviews. We aggregated reviews from third-party websites including Google, Yelp, Facebook, Trustpilot, Zillow, and Better Business Bureau. We ranked companies based on their review score, as well as the number of reviews.
Note: Pricing data, locations, and other data points are current as of when this article was last updated.
Who are the best discount real estate brokers in Austin, Texas?
Clever Real Estate is the best discount realtor in Austin, followed by Redfin and local company Todd Hower Realty. For those who want to sell without a realtor, Creekview Realty has a great reputation as a flat fee MLS company. Learn more about choosing a discount real estate broker in Austin.
What is the best flat fee MLS service in Austin, Texas?
Creekview Realty is our choice for best flat fee MLS service in Austin. The company helps you sell FSBO for flat fee of $600, which includes some agent support for signing documents and negotiation. Learn more about Creekview Realty.