If you’re looking to sell a house and save on realtor commission fees in Madison, Wisconsin, we recommend hiring a discount real estate brokerage. A good discount real estate broker provides the same general services and support as a traditional real estate agent but for a fraction of the price.
The Real Estate Witch Team evaluated 19 discount real estate brokers in the Madison, Wisconsin, area based on a variety of key factors, including fee structures, customer reviews, sales performance, and more. Our guide will help you choose the right brand to fit your budget and desired level of service.
⚡️ In a hurry? Find top discount realtors near you now.
Top full-service discount real estate brokers in Madison, WI
Clever Real EstateLearn More
Our take: If you’re looking to sell your house in Madison, WI, and want to save on realtor fees without compromising service, Clever is our top pick.
What we like: Clever offers great discounts of up to 50% from standard realtors. Also, its matching service is highly regarded and completely free, with no commitments required.
How it works: Clever matches sellers with highly rated, local realtors from reputable brokerages like RE/MAX and Compass. You have the opportunity to compare different options and find the best match, all while benefiting from an exclusive 1.5% listing fee, regardless of which agent you end up choosing.
- Work with an experienced agent from a reputable brokerage (not a discount agent)
- Agents are willing to work with a 1.5% listing fee when you choose Clever
- Access to a wide selection of top realtors in the Madison, WI, area
- No guarantee that you’ll be able to work directly with your preferred agent or brokerage
- Additional services such as professional staging, drone photos, and 3D tours may come at an additional cost (agents will provide a breakdown of the inclusions during their listing presentation)
- 1.5% listing fee ($3,000 min.) at closing
- 2–3% buyer’s agent commission at closing
Redfin MadisonLearn More
Our take: Redfin offers a low listing commission for Madison home sellers, but its minimum commission fee is a bit higher than other discount realtors in the area.
What we like: Redfin offers a competitive listing fee of 1.5%, which can result in substantial savings on commissions. Also, if you use Redfin’s services for both buying and selling within a year, you can enjoy an extra 0.5% reduction in your listing fee.
Things to watch out for: Redfin employs a team-based, technology-focused approach, which may not suit everyone’s preferences. The majority of the process is managed remotely by a Lead Agent and a back-office team. Also, Redfin has a minimum commission fee of $3,500 in Madison. If your home’s value is $233,000 or less, you may end up paying more than the advertised 1.5% rate.
- Considerable savings on listing fees
- Well-established brand with a strong network of agents
- Team-oriented, remote approach could be advantageous for certain sellers
- Not ideal for sellers seeking a personalized agent experience
- Agent selection may be more limited compared to Clever
- 1.5% listing fee ($3,500 min. in Madison) at closing
- 2–3% buyer’s agent commission at closing
- 0.5% listing fee refund if you also buy with Redfin within 12 months
*Not enough data available at this time
Best Choice Flat FeeLearn More
Our take: If you’re a seller looking for a cost-effective selling solution in Madison, WI, Best Choice Flat Fee could be a decent option. However, it’s crucial to thoroughly interview agents to ensure they have the expertise you need.
What we like: Best Choice Flat Fee offers a budget-friendly flat fee structure and the flexibility of full-service pricing. This makes it a good choice for sellers who want to save on commission while still receiving the benefits of working with a full-service realtor.
Things to watch out for: Best Choice Flat Fee operates a network of independently owned discount real estate brokerages nationwide, so service quality may vary between different locations. A positive experience at one office doesn’t guarantee the same level of service at another.
- Flexible pricing options
- Multiple service tiers available, including full-service
- Additional charges for photography, yard signs, and lockboxes for some service packages
- Flat fee plans charge upfront, nonrefundable fees
- Service quality may differ across locations
- Silver Plan
- $299 upfront, nonrefundable fee
- 0% at closing
- Gold Plan
- $599 upfront, nonrefundable fee
- 0% at closing
- Platinum Plan
- No upfront fee
- 1% at closing
- You choose buyer’s agent commission at closing
- Learn more about pricing plans
*Not enough data available at this time
Redefined Realty AdvisorsLearn More
Our take: Redefined Realty Advisors offers a low total commission fee, but the lack of available transaction data may indicate poor market performance in Madison.
What we like: Redefined Realty Advisors offers a low total commission fee of 3.99% that is paid at the time of closing. This rate is significantly lower than the industry average of 6%, giving sellers the opportunity to save a substantial amount of money.
Things to watch out for: We found no verified transaction data available for Redefined Realty Advisors in the Madison area, which may raise concerns for some sellers. Also, even though its rates are lower than industry averages, other Madison discount real estate brokers offer more savings.
- Lower total commission fee compared to traditional agents
- Comprehensive coverage across multiple counties in Wisconsin, including Madison
- Positive seller reviews
- Higher total commission fee than other discount realtors in Madison
- Lack of available data to assess past transactions
- 3.99% total commission at closing
*Total commission includes listing agent commission and buyer’s agent commission.
Other discount real estate brokerages in Madison, WI
Assist-2-Sell, a well-known MLS service provider, has faced some uncertainty recently. While its local offices typically offer a range of pricing options and services, the specific details can vary. However, due to a lack of available information about Assist-2-Sell in Madison, we are unable to include it in our recommendations. The limited data on pricing, recent transactions, and customer feedback makes it difficult to assess its current market presence and level of involvement in the area.
Discount Realtor offers a real estate referral service to connect you with discount realtors who provide either discount commission or a flat fee listing on the local Multiple Listing Service (MLS). But the lack of available information about its services and offerings led us to not include it on our list of recommendations.
Limited-service and flat fee MLS Madison brokers
Sellers who have more experience in real estate may be interested in using limited-service or flat fee MLS companies. These brokerages offer less support but for a lower fee than full-service discount realtors.
Next steps: Start interviewing real estate agents
Average Real Estate Commission in Wisconsin: Knowing the standard commission rate in your area can help you avoid overpaying for a realtor and accurately estimate costs when you sell your home.
Wisconsin Seller Closing Costs and More: Read this guide for a complete breakdown of the costs of selling a house in Wisconsin, including tips on how to save on your sale.
How to Sell a House Without a Realtor in Wisconsin: Selling your home without a realtor means you won’t have to pay a listing commission, but do the positives outweigh the negatives? Read this guide to find out if FSBO in Madison is right for you.
How to Negotiate Realtor Commissions: Negotiating real estate fees centers on knowing the market and your situation, then using that info while talking to multiple agents.
How to Choose the Right Realtor to Sell Your House: When selling a home in today’s market, choosing the right listing agent is key. Most people hire the first traditional agent they interview — here’s a better approach.
Why trust us
Our Research Team gathered 44 discrete pricing and service models to create our initial list of Madison, WI discount real estate brokerages. We then compiled and analyzed a further 119,380 publicly available data points tied to past transactions, customer reviews, licensing info, and more to categorize each service and create our final list and rankings.
The Real Estate Witch Team used public business directories to identify every company in the greater Madison region calling itself a discount real estate broker or agent. We then filtered that list down and ranked the top Madison options based on the following criteria:
- Service level: We only included and rated full-service discount realtors and brokerages to start, which we think are the best option for most home sellers. These companies offer the same key services you’d expect from a traditional realtor, including in-person representation and end-to-end support.
- Pricing: We assessed each company’s fee structure and cross-referenced it with the service model to determine who was offering (a) the best overall value — price vs. service — and (b) the fewest unfavorable pricing terms, like high minimums, nonrefundable upfront fees, or other hidden costs.
- Customer reviews: We evaluated all verifiable customer reviews for each service. We considered not only the total review counts, average customer ratings, and key positive and negative themes, but we also assessed factors like how recent and relevant the reviews were to customers making hiring decisions right now.
- Sales activity: We looked at available data about past transactions to gauge sales performance and activity level.
Credible, primary sources power our pages. When you hire a service through a link on this page, we may earn a small commission. But this doesn’t influence our advice or ranking methodology. Learn more about Real Estate Witch here.