Discount brokers are real estate professionals who sell your home for a lower cost, such as a 1% listing commission or a flat fee. The average listing commission in California is currently 2.50%, so using a discount broker can mean saving thousands of dollars when selling your home.
Saving with a discount broker is even more important as the market slows and home prices level off in California.
If you’re considering a discount broker, do your research before choosing. Some discount brokers provide full service, while others cut services that you’ll likely need, which could put you at risk.
We researched discount real estate brokers in San Diego and found the best companies for you. Continue reading to see which companies we picked as the best major discount broker, the top local brokerage, and the top choice for people who want to sell without a realtor in San Diego.
Quick tips for choosing a discount real estate broker
- Decide what your priorities are. If saving money is your top priority, choose a flat fee MLS service like Yager Realty. But if the advice of a knowledgeable agent is what you’re looking for, go with a company like Clever Real Estate.
- Figure out your actual savings. We’ve provided estimated savings for the companies we’ve recommended here, but for an accurate picture of how much you’ll save, calculate costs using your home’s price point.
- Pay attention to differences between local and national agents. National brokerages might have more resources and better advertising, but smaller, local brokers have local insight that might help you sell for more.
- Research brands and their services. Once you have a few brokers in mind, look into what homes they have sold in the past. Search for online reviews of the company and its agents, looking for recurring themes — positive or negative.
- Consider what makes your home stand out. If you’re selling a conventional home, look for an agent with good reviews and the right price. But if you’re selling a home like the Victorian-era Villa Montezuma in Sherman Heights, find a realtor who knows how to market your home’s uniqueness.
Best discount real estate brokers in San Diego
|Best…||Brand||Avg. savings||Avg. rating|
|Overall||Clever Real Estate||$7,375||4.9/5 (1,995)|
|Local||One Percent Listing Group||$8,000||4.9/5 (107)|
|Limited-service||Yager Realty||$11,000||4.8/5 (200)|
Best major discount brands in San Diego
Clever Real EstateLEARN MORE
- Listing fee: 1.5%
- Avg savings: $7,375
- Avg rating: 4.9/5
Clever is a free, nationwide service that matches you with top agents from well-known brokerages like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX. You’ll get full service for a listing fee of 1.5%.
Clever is our top pick because it’s a fast and free way to find a top-rated, full-service agent for less. Clever pre-negotiates discounts for you so you can save thousands.
Clever’s concierge service will match you with the right agent who fits your needs, not just the next agent on a list or someone from an out-of-town team. Best of all, there’s no catch: you’ll get the same service you would with any other traditional agent for only 1.5% commission.
Clever has a 4.9/5 on Trustpilot across 1,995 reviews. Customer reviews mention how fast and easy Clever’s agent-matching process is while praising the quality of the agents.
Clever offers low commission rates with top agents in all 50 states and Washington, DC.
- Listing fee: 1.5% (min. fees vary)
- Avg savings: $5,550
- Avg rating: 3.7/5
Redfin offers a 1.5% listing commission — or as low as 1% if you also buy a home using a Redfin agent.
While Redfin offers another way to save on commission, it’s our number two pick because it comes with some tradeoffs. For example, Redfin’s agents manage about three times as many clients as its competitors, meaning your agent might have less time for your questions and concerns.
Redfin has plenty of positive reviews, with a 3.7/5 rating across 301 reviews. In reviews, customers talk about Redfin’s knowledgeable and responsive agents.
Redfin is available in over 100 markets across the U.S.
Looking for more options? Check out the top 10 low-commission real estate brokerages in 2022.
Best local discount real estate broker in San Diego
One Percent Listing GroupWEBSITE
- Listing fee: 1%
- Avg savings: $8,000
- Avg rating: 4.9/5
One Percent Listing Group is run by agent LJ Woodard. His commission is 1% for full-service representation. There is a minimum fee of $5,000 for homes that sell for under $500,000.
We recommend One Percent Listing Group based on its positive reviews and its relatively low minimum fee of $5,000 for homes under $500,000.
Independent broker LJ Woodard has over 15 years of experience and has sold hundreds of homes in San Diego. His local knowledge can help you sell for the best price.
Past clients have left glowing reviews for One Percent Listing Group, praising its ability to effectively market homes and negotiate prices. Many reviews mention using the company for multiple sales, which suggests a positive experience.
One Percent Listing Group is available in the San Diego area.
Want to work with a local agent, but hate to miss out on savings? Our friends at Clever Real Estate can get you both. They partner with top local agents in California from trusted brokerages like RE/MAX, Coldwell Banker, and Keller Williams. You’ll get local support from a traditional real estate agent for just 1.5%.
Best limited-service real estate broker in San Diego
- Listing fee: $299–999
- Avg savings: $11,000
- Avg rating: 4.8/5
Yager Realty provides three tiers of MLS-only services for home sellers throughout California. The $299 plan is a 6-month contract with a barebones MLS listing. A $399 middle tier adds a yard sign and contracts. The $999 adds more agent help, including sales comps, negotiation coaching, and document support.
At $299, Yager Realty’s lowest MLS-only tier isn’t the cheapest around, but positive customer reviews mean home sellers believe the service to be worth it. Customer reviews praise the a la carte approach that lets you add on certain features like a lockbox for a fee. Several customer reviews say the agents are quick to answer any questions you may have, provided you’ve chosen a tier that includes some realtor help.
Yager Realty is available throughout California.
Selling without a realtor is more complicated than it may sound. If you’re thinking about selling by owner in San Diego, read these resources first:
- How to Sell a House Without a Realtor in California
- The Top 3 California Flat Fee MLS Listing Services
How we chose
Real Estate Witch evaluated more than 50 national and local discount real estate brokers and found our top picks based on average savings, clarity of costs and terms, and how customers rated each company’s service.
To narrow down our lists, we first disqualified companies that:
- Did not have an active website
- Did not have any customer reviews on the most common review sites
- Did not clearly disclose their commission rates or terms
Then, we ranked companies based on the following factors:
- Average savings. We established savings based on what consumers would pay across four typical home values — $100,000, $250,000, $500,000, and $750,000 — and compared those rates to a standard 3% listing agent commission.
- Customer reviews. We aggregated reviews from third-party websites including Google, Yelp, Facebook, Trustpilot, Zillow, and Better Business Bureau. We ranked companies based on their review score, as well as the number of reviews.
Note: Pricing data, locations, and other data points are current as of when this article was last updated.
How can I get a 1% listing in San Diego?
You can list your home for 1.5% with Clever Real Estate, a service that connects you with top local agents for a fraction of the typical listing fee. Other options include One Percent Listing Group or Redfin (which offers a 1.5% listing). Learn more about 1% commission brokers.
Who’s the best discount real estate broker in San Diego?
Clever Real Estate is the best discount real estate broker in San Diego, followed by Redfin and local company One Percent Listing Group. For those who want to sell without a realtor, Yager Realty has a great reputation as a flat fee MLS company. Learn more about choosing a discount real estate broker in San Diego.