Why trust us: We strive to make objective recommendations by using a transparent ranking methodology. Learn more about how we chose the brokers featured in this article.
Compare discount brokers | Best major discount brokers | Best local discount broker | Best limited-service broker | FAQ
Discount brokers offer help selling your home for a rate cheaper than traditional brokers. Many discount brokers charge a 1% listing commission or flat fee. Since the average listing commission in California is currently 2.50%, this can mean thousands in savings.
As the market cools and home prices go down, saving money on your home sale is more important than ever.
If you’re interested in using a discount broker, do a lot of research before making your final choice. Some discount brokers offer all of the services of traditional brokers, but others may cut services you’ll probably need, potentially putting your sale at risk.
We looked at discount real estate brokers across California and ranked the top companies for you. Read on to see which companies we found to be the best major discount brokers, the top local broker, and the best choice for homeowners who want to sell without a realtor in California.
Quick tips for choosing a discount real estate broker
- Decide what’s important to you. If your top priority is saving money, go with a flat fee MLS service like Yager Realty. But if the advice of a knowledgeable agent is what you’re looking for, go with a company like Clever Real Estate.
- Calculate your actual savings. We’ve estimated the savings you can expect from the companies we’ve discussed here, but to see what your actual savings will be, calculate costs using your home’s price.
- Consider the differences between local and national brokers. Companies that operate across the country may have more people and resources, but they often lack the regional knowledge and insight of a local agent.
- Research your top picks before choosing a broker. Once you have a few brokers to compare, look at what types of homes they’ve sold in the past to see which is the best fit for you. Search online reviews of the company and its agents, looking for common themes.
- Choose the right agent for your home. If you’re selling a conventional home, start your search for an agent by comparing reviews and pricing. But if you have a unique home — such as a waterfront property or a home with a notable architectural style — choose an agent who can show off your home’s best features.
Our recommendation: Shop around! 🛍️
Take the time to weigh the pros and cons of multiple options. Gather estimates, ask companies about hidden fees, interview agents, and find the solution you feel confident in. A bit of research goes a long way.
» Easily compare top local agents with built-in discounted rates.
Best discount real estate brokers in California
|Best…||Brand||Avg. savings||Avg. rating|
|Overall||Clever Real Estate||$7,375||4.9/5 (1,995)|
|Local||1% Broker Realtors||$2,800||5/5 (107)|
|Limited-service||Yager Realty||$11,000||4.8/5 (200)|
Best major discount brands in California
Clever Real EstateLEARN MORE
- Listing fee: 1.5%
- Avg savings: $7,375
- Avg rating: 4.9/5
Clever is a free, nationwide service that matches you with top agents from well-known brokerages like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX. You’ll get full service for a listing fee of 1.5%.
Clever is our top pick because it’s a fast and free way to find a top-rated, full-service agent for less. Clever pre-negotiates discounts for you so you can save thousands.
Clever’s concierge service will match you with the right agent who fits your needs, not just the next agent on a list or someone from an out-of-town team. Best of all, there’s no catch: you’ll get the same service you would with any other traditional agent for only 1.5% commission.
Clever has a 4.9/5 on Trustpilot across 1,995 reviews. Customer reviews mention how fast and easy Clever’s agent-matching process is while praising the quality of the agents.
Clever offers low commission rates with top agents in all 50 states and Washington, DC.
- Listing fee: 1.5% (min. fees vary)
- Avg savings: $5,550
- Avg rating: 3.7/5
Redfin offers a 1.5% listing commission — or as low as 1% if you also buy a home using a Redfin agent.
While Redfin offers another way to save on commission, it’s our number two pick because it comes with some tradeoffs. For example, Redfin’s agents manage about three times as many clients as its competitors, meaning your agent might have less time for your questions and concerns.
Redfin has plenty of positive reviews, with a 3.7/5 rating across 301 reviews. In reviews, customers talk about Redfin’s knowledgeable and responsive agents.
Redfin is available in over 100 markets across the U.S.
Looking for more options? Check out the top 10 low-commission real estate brokerages in 2022.
Real estate agent vs. broker: What’s the difference? 🤔
A real estate agent helps their clients buy or sell homes. An agent works for a broker, whose job is to manage agents and keep an eye on transactions to make sure everything is legal. Brokers are usually more experienced and typically don’t work directly with clients. Agents and brokers generally split the commission.
Best local discount real estate broker in California
1% Broker RealtorsWEBSITE
- Listing fee: 1–1.5%
- Avg savings: $2,800
- Avg rating: 5/5
For 1%, this company will list your home on Zillow, but you’ll be responsible for showings and negotiations. Once you agree on a price, an agent will manage the process through closing.
The 1.5% commission option provides a listing on the MLS and a more traditional full-service experience, with your agent handling all of the marketing and showings.
We recommend 1% Broker Realtors on the strength of its customer reviews. Past clients say the company’s agents provide great service from start to finish, ensuring the client understands all aspects of the process.
To have all of the benefits of a full-service agent, use the 1.5% service. This program has a minimum commission of $8,500, so it’ll only be worth it if you’re selling a home for $575,000 or more. Otherwise, you’d be better off with a 1% broker with a lower minimum fee, such as Clever’s $3,000 or 1% fee.
1% Broker Realtors is available throughout the Greater Los Angeles area.
Want to work with a local agent, but hate to miss out on savings? Our friends at Clever Real Estate can get you both. They partner with top local agents in California from trusted brokerages like RE/MAX, Coldwell Banker, and Keller Williams. You’ll get local support from a traditional real estate agent for just 1.5%.
📥 Get agent matches delivered straight to your inbox!
Best limited-service real estate broker in California
- Listing fee: $299–999
- Avg savings: $11,000
- Avg rating: 4.8/5
Yager Realty provides three tiers of MLS-only services for home sellers throughout California. The $299 plan is a 6-month contract with a barebones MLS listing. A $399 middle tier adds a yard sign and contracts. The $999 adds more agent help, including sales comps, negotiation coaching, and document support.
At $299, Yager Realty’s lowest MLS-only tier isn’t the cheapest around, but positive customer reviews mean home sellers believe the service to be worth it. Customer reviews praise the a la carte approach that lets you add on certain features like a lockbox for a fee. Several customer reviews say the agents are quick to answer any questions you may have, provided you’ve chosen a tier that includes some realtor help.
Yager Realty is available throughout California.
Selling without a realtor is more complicated than it may sound. If you’re thinking about selling by owner in California, read these resources first:
- How to Sell a House Without a Realtor in California
- The Top 3 California Flat Fee MLS Listing Services
How we chose
Real Estate Witch evaluated more than 50 national and local discount real estate brokers and found our top picks based on average savings, clarity of costs and terms, and how customers rated each company’s service.
To narrow down our lists, we first disqualified companies that:
- Did not have an active website
- Did not have any customer reviews on the most common review sites
- Did not clearly disclose their commission rates or terms
Then, we ranked companies based on the following factors:
- Average savings. We established savings based on what consumers would pay across four typical home values — $100,000, $250,000, $500,000, and $750,000 — and compared those rates to a standard 3% listing agent commission.
- Customer reviews. We aggregated reviews from third-party websites including Google, Yelp, Facebook, Trustpilot, Zillow, and Better Business Bureau. We ranked companies based on their review score, as well as the number of reviews.
Note: Pricing data, locations, and other data points are current as of when this article was last updated.
Who are the best discount real estate brokers in California?
Clever Real Estate is the best discount realtor in California, followed by Redfin and local company 1% Broker Realtors. For those who want to sell without a realtor, Yager Realty has a great reputation as a flat fee MLS company. Learn more about choosing a discount real estate broker in California.
Is 1% Broker Realtors legit?
Yes. We recommend 1% Broker Realtors on the strength of its customer reviews. Past clients say the company's agents provide great service from start to finish, ensuring the client understands all aspects of the process. Learn more about 1% Broker Realtors.
Leave a Reply