A discount broker is a real estate company offering listing services for a discounted rate, such as a 1% listing commission or a low flat fee.
A difference of just a percentage point or two can equate to thousands of dollars on a home sale. Since the average listing commission in Florida is 2.70%, low commission brokerages can help maximize your net gain on the home. As the market begins to cool and home prices begin to level off, saving money on commission is more important than ever.
If you’re interested in a discount broker, do your research. Not all discount brokers are equal. Some cut services in ways that put you at risk.
We researched discount real estate brokers in Florida and ranked our top choices so you know where to begin your search. Read on to see what we chose as the best major discount brokers, the top local brokerage, and the top choice for people who want to sell without a realtor in Florida.
Quick tips for choosing a discount real estate broker
- Figure out what’s most important to you. If you want to save money above all else, choose a flat fee MLS service like Flat Fee MLS Florida. But if having the local knowledge of an experienced agent is your top priority, choose a company like Clever Real Estate.
- Estimate the savings on your home. Below, we’ve provided some savings estimates for assumed home values, but you might save more or less depending on the sale price of your home.
- Keep in mind the differences between national and local agents. Big national companies have more name recognition, but that doesn’t mean they’re right for you. Local agents often have insights and advice that can be the key to a higher sale price.
- Carefully vet companies and their services. See what kinds of homes the brokerages tend to sell. Do a thorough review of online comments, looking for common themes in client experiences.
- Consider the state and type of your home. If you’re selling a conventional home in good condition, look for an agent with good reviews. But if you have a unique home, like a waterfront property or a home in a gated community, find an agent with experience selling the same type of home.
Best discount real estate brokers in Florida
|Best…||Brand||Avg. savings||Avg. rating|
|Overall||Clever Real Estate||$7,375||4.9/5 (1,995)|
|Local||Discount Realty Florida||$6,000||4.7/5 (15)|
|Limited-service||Flat Fee MLS Realty Florida||$11,700||4.4/5 (22)|
Best major discount brands in Florida
Clever Real EstateLEARN MORE
- Listing fee: 1%
- Avg savings: $7,375
- Avg rating: 4.9/5
Clever is a free, nationwide service that matches you with top agents from well-known brokerages like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX. You’ll get full service for a listing fee of $3,000 (or 1% if your home sells for more than $350,000).
Clever is our top pick because it’s a fast and free way to find a top-rated, full-service agent for less. Clever pre-negotiates discounts for you so you can save thousands.
Clever’s concierge service will match you with the right agent who fits your needs, not just the next agent on a list or someone from an out-of-town team. Best of all, there’s no catch: you’ll get the same service you would with any other traditional agent for only 1% commission.
Clever has a 4.9/5 on Trustpilot across 1,995 reviews. Customer reviews mention how fast and easy Clever’s agent-matching process is while praising the quality of the agents.
Clever offers low commission rates with top agents in all 50 states and Washington, DC.
- Listing fee: 1.5% (min. fees vary)
- Avg savings: $5,550
- Avg rating: 3.7/5
Redfin offers a 1.5% listing commission — or as low as 1% if you also buy a home using a Redfin agent.
While Redfin offers another way to save on commission, it’s our number two pick because it comes with some tradeoffs. For example, Redfin’s agents manage about three times as many clients as its competitors, meaning your agent might have less time for your questions and concerns.
Redfin has plenty of positive reviews, with a 3.7/5 rating across 301 reviews. In reviews, customers talk about Redfin’s knowledgeable and responsive agents.
Redfin is available in over 100 markets across the U.S.
Looking for more options? Check out the top 10 low-commission real estate brokerages in 2022.
Best local discount real estate broker in Florida
Discount Realty FloridaWEBSITE
- Listing fee: 1.5%
- Avg savings: $6,000
- Avg rating: 4.7/5
For 1.5% listing commission, Discount Realty Florida provides full-service agent services, including help with pricing, negotiations, and closing. The brokerage automatically offers 2.5% in buyer’s agent commission, so your total commission will be 4% at most. (While you don’t have to offer any buyer’s agent commission, it’s standard to offer around 2.5% to entice agents to bring buyers to your home.)
Customer reviews for Discount Realty Florida are almost all positive, with past clients happy with the price they got for their homes and the short timeframe in which they sold.
DRF also offers a few perks not all discount agents offer, such as professional photography, at no extra charge. The brokerage even offers a pre-inspection evaluation to give you a heads-up about potential issues before the inspection.
The company averages $1 million in sales each month and claims that, on average, its clients pay about 3.61% in total commission, including buyer’s agent commission.
Discount Realty Florida serves all of Citrus County.
Want to work with a local agent, but hate to miss out on savings? Our friends at Clever Real Estate can get you both. They partner with top local agents in Florida from trusted brokerages like RE/MAX, Coldwell Banker, and Keller Williams. You’ll get local support from a traditional real estate agent for just 1%.
Best limited-service real estate broker in Florida
Flat Fee MLS RealtyWEBSITE
- Listing fee: $89–$549
- Avg savings: $11,700
- Avg rating: 4.4/5
Flat Fee MLS Realty has three service tiers to choose from, ranging from $89 to $549. All plans include open house and showing scheduling, along with unlimited changes to the listing. The cheapest plan includes 25 photos. The middle tier, for $249, includes 50 photos and adds a comparative market analysis. The highest tier also includes professional photography, aerial drone photos, and a lockbox.
Flat Fee MLS Realty provides several comprehensive MLS-only plans that have everything you need to sell your home on your own.
The $89 tier is a great way to save money, but we recommend paying for the $249 package to get the comparative market analysis — it’ll provide invaluable insight on how to price your home to sell. The $549 tier might be worth it if you think your home could benefit from professional photography.
Customer reviews are generally positive and full of past clients happy with the amount of money they saved. Customers also mentioned that it was easy to get quick answers to their questions.
Flat Fee MLS Realty serves all of Florida.
Selling without a realtor is more complicated than it may sound. If you’re thinking about selling by owner in Florida, read these resources first:
How we chose
Real Estate Witch evaluated more than 50 national and local discount real estate brokers and found our top picks based on average savings, clarity of costs and terms, and how customers rated each company’s service.
To narrow down our lists, we first disqualified companies that:
- Did not have an active website
- Did not have any customer reviews on the most common review sites
- Did not clearly disclose their commission rates or terms
Then, we ranked companies based on the following factors:
- Average savings. We established savings based on what consumers would pay across four typical home values — $100,000, $250,000, $500,000, and $750,000 — and compared those rates to a standard 3% listing agent commission.
- Customer reviews. We aggregated reviews from third-party websites including Google, Yelp, Facebook, Trustpilot, Zillow, and Better Business Bureau. We ranked companies based on their review score, as well as the number of reviews.
Note: Pricing data, locations, and other data points are current as of when this article was last updated.
Who are the best discount realtors in Florida?
Clever Real Estate is the best discount realtor in Florida, followed by Redfin and local company Discount Realty Florida. For those who want to sell without a realtor, Flat Fee MLS Realty has a great reputation as a flat fee MLS company. Learn more about choosing a discount real estate broker in Florida.
What’s the best flat fee MLS listing service in Florida?
Flat Fee MLS Realty is the best flat fee MLS listing service in Florida. It offers several comprehensive MLS-only plans that have everything you need to sell your home on your own, starting as low as $89. Check out the top five flat fee MLS companies in Florida!