If you’re looking to sell a house and save on realtor commission fees in South Dakota, we recommend hiring a discount real estate brokerage. A good discount real estate broker provides the same general services and support as a traditional real estate agent but for a fraction of the price.
🏅 Best overall
Clever Real Estate
1.5% ($3,000 min.)
Prairie Hills Real Estate
4% total commission*
Black Hawk, Colonial Pine Hills, Green Valley, Rapid City, Rapid Valley
FSBOHOMES Sioux Falls
$3,000 (if choosing to pay upfront)
$3,500 (if choosing to pay at closing)
The Real Estate Witch Team evaluated 15 discount real estate brokers in the South Dakota, area based on a variety of key factors, including fee structures, customer reviews, sales performance, and more. Our guide will help you choose the right brand to fit your budget and desired level of service.
⚡️ In a hurry? Find top discount realtors near you now.
Top full-service discount real estate brokers in South Dakota
Clever Real EstateLearn More
Our take: Clever is our top pick in South Dakota for home sellers looking to save on realtor commissions without sacrificing service.
What we like: Clever gets you discounted rates (up to 50%) from conventional realtors. Plus, Clever’s matching service is highly rated and free to use with no obligation.
How it works: Clever matches you with top local realtors from major brokerages like RE/MAX and Compass. You compare options to find the best fit and get the special 1.5% listing fee (same as Redfin) no matter who you choose.
- Sell with a traditional agent from a name-brand brokerage (not a discount agent)
- Agents work for up to 50% off their typical rate when you go through Clever
- Most agent selection by far — choose from many top South Dakota realtors
- No guarantee you’ll be able to work with a specific agent or brokerage you have in mind
- Add-ons like professional staging, drone photos, and 3D tours may cost extra (agents will break down what’s included during their listing presentation)
- 1.5% listing fee ($3,000 min.) at closing
- 2–3% buyer’s agent commission at closing
Prairie Hills Real EstateLearn More
Our take: Prairie Hills Real Estate offers a simple, all-inclusive service package with transparent pricing for South Dakota sellers, but the service area is limited.
What we like: You pay a bundled 4% commission when your home sells with Prairie Hills Real Estate, making it a budget-friendly option without any upfront costs. This brokerage has deep roots in Rapid City and boasts over 25 years of experience serving the local market.
Things to watch out for: Although Prairie Hills Real Estate charges a lower commission rate compared to the standard 6%, it may still be higher than other alternatives in the area. Limited customer review data makes it challenging to assess the broker’s track record. We strongly recommend interviewing an agent from Prairie Hills before committing to their services.
- Transparent and competitive pricing model
- Listing period lasts until your home is successfully sold
- Serving the Greater Rapid City area for over 25 years
- Commission rate may be higher than alternatives
- Lack of customer reviews makes it challenging to determine track record
- Service area limited to Rapid City and the surrounding area
- 4% total commission at closing
*Total commission includes listing agent commission and buyer’s agent commission
*Not enough data available at this time
FSBOHOMES Sioux FallsLearn More
Our take: FSBOHOMES could be a good fit for experienced home sellers in South Dakota who desire complete control over the selling process.
What we like: FSBOHOMES offers a convenient flat fee listing-only plan with impressive features like 3D virtual open houses, professional photography, and eye-catching custom yard signs. Listings also receive exposure on national real estate websites and local market advertising. You can choose between upfront or at-closing payment options.
Things to watch out for: The listing fee for FSBOHOMES is $3,000 upfront or $3,500 at closing. This fee might be higher than full-service discount real estate options in South Dakota. The size and location of your property may also affect the listing fee, and there may be an additional cost for local MLS listings. All fees are subject to change, and FSBOHOMES doesn’t provide real estate broker services (as stated in the terms of service).
- The flat fee structure offers potential savings for sellers
- Includes valuable features like 3D virtual open houses, yard signs, and local market advertising
- Highly rated by satisfied customers
- Additional fees may apply depending on the size or location of your property
- FSBOHOMES doesn’t function as a real estate broker for customers
- The flat fee doesn’t cover local MLS listings
- All fees are subject to change
- Service is limited to the Sioux Falls area
- $3,000 upfront or $3,500 at closing
- 2–3% buyer’s agent commission at closing
*All fees are subject to change and additional charges may occur based on property location or size
Other discount real estate brokerages in South Dakota
Assist-2-Sell is a nationwide real estate broker serving South Dakota, but it missed our list because the fee varies by location and limited listing information is available. These factors made it hard to provide accurate details about the broker’s services and to compare it to other discount real estate brokers in South Dakota.
Discount Realtor connects potential home sellers in South Dakota with local REALTORS® who offer local MLS services at a discounted rate or flat fee. A lack of concrete pricing and service information prevented the matching service from making our list of the best discount real estate brokers in South Dakota.
Limited-service and flat fee MLS South Dakota brokers
Sellers who have more experience in real estate may be interested in using limited-service or flat fee MLS companies. These brokerages offer less support but for a lower fee than full-service discount realtors.
Next steps: Start interviewing real estate agents
Average Real Estate Commission in South Dakota: Knowing the standard commission rate in your area can help you avoid overpaying for a realtor and accurately estimate costs when you sell your home.
How to Sell a House Without a Realtor in South Dakota: Selling your home without a realtor means you won’t have to pay a listing commission, but do the positives outweigh the negatives? Read this guide to find out if FSBO in South Dakota is right for you.
How to Negotiate Realtor Commissions: Negotiating real estate fees centers on knowing the market and your situation, then using that info while talking to multiple agents.
How to Choose the Right Realtor to Sell Your House: When selling a home in today’s market, choosing the right listing agent is key. Most people hire the first traditional agent they interview — here’s a better approach.
Why trust us
Our Research Team gathered 34 discrete pricing and service models to create our initial list of South Dakota discount real estate brokerages. We then compiled and analyzed a further 116,376 publicly available data points tied to past transactions, customer reviews, licensing info, and more to categorize each service and create our final list and rankings.
The Real Estate Witch Team used public business directories to identify every company in the greater South Dakota region calling itself a discount real estate broker or agent. We then filtered that list down and ranked the top South Dakota options based on the following criteria:
- Service level: We only included and rated full-service discount realtors and brokerages to start, which we think are the best option for most home sellers. These companies offer the same key services you’d expect from a traditional realtor, including in-person representation and end-to-end support.
- Pricing: We assessed each company’s fee structure and cross-referenced it with the service model to determine who was offering (a) the best overall value — price vs. service — and (b) the fewest unfavorable pricing terms, like high minimums, nonrefundable upfront fees, or other hidden costs.
- Customer reviews: We evaluated all verifiable customer reviews for each service. We considered not only the total review counts, average customer ratings, and key positive and negative themes, but we also assessed factors like how recent and relevant the reviews were to customers making hiring decisions right now.
- Sales activity: We looked at available data about past transactions to gauge sales performance and activity level.
Credible, primary sources power our pages. When you hire a service through a link on this page, we may earn a small commission. But this doesn’t influence our advice or ranking methodology. Learn more about Real Estate Witch here.